Quarterly Program Guide
Sign up for Emails of Quarterly Program Guide
The Hoopes Family's presence in Bloomington, Illinois, dates back to 1855 when Benjamin Franklin (B.F.) Hoopes came to Bloomington from Chester County, Pennsylvania. Members of the family have held varied and well-respected positions in the community: retail grocer, merchant, banker, city librarian, surgeon, attorney.
Benjamin Franklin Hoopes was born August 28, 1825, in Chester County, Pennsylvania. His parents were Garrett and Martha (Smith) Hoopes. He came to Bloomington in 1855 to clerk in a local grocery store on the west side of the square. The store was run by Peter Whitmer and George, John and Samuel Parke. B.F. bought an interest in the store in 1857. Shortly thereafter, Peter Whitmer sold his interest in the store. The store became known as Parke & Hoopes.
B.F. eventually sold out to Parke & Ollis.
He went to Springfield, Illinois, at the outbreak of the Civil War, and he remained there for 3 to 4 years. He married Freedom Augusta Harwood of Holly, New York, October 12, 1862. They had three children: Albert Harwood, Estella, and Henry Dwight.
Albert Harwood was born December 14, 1864, in Springfield. Estella and Henry Dwight died in infancy and are buried in Evergreen Cemetery. Returning to Bloomington in 1965, B.F. ran a commission and wholesale business which he started in 1867. During his time in Bloomington, B.F. Hoopes became a well-respected businessman who had a reputation of always dealing fairly with patrons.
He was a pioneer commission merchant, and he served several terms as alderman from the First Ward (1882-1883 and 1892-1898). He served on a number of city committees. As an alderman, he mostly served on the water board and the finance committee. B.F. was a wholesale and retail grocer and proprietor of Bloomington Steam Coffee, Spice and Hominy Mills which he added to his business. He also ran a butcher shop and cold storage plant business from 1865-1870.
The B.F. Hoopes Wholesale House was located at the corner of Center and North East Streets, and B. F. lived at 707 North East Street.
For a number of years, the second floor of his business housed the Bloomington Library, and B.F. served on the Board of Managers of the Bloomington Library Association (1867). He later served as Treasurer for the Library (1879) while at the same time serving as a Director for Bloomington Furniture Manufactest Company (1879). B.F. was a member of the Second Presbyterian Church and president of the Old People's Association for many years.
Benjamin died December 7, 1904; he is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Freedom Augusta was born October 25, 1840, in Orleans County, New York. When she was 20 years old, she traveled to Bloomington to visit her brothers, the Harwoods, and met B.F. Hoopes. She returned east but eventually married B.F. on October 12, 1862. She was a member of the Second Presbyterian Church, was involved with the social life of the city, and was a member of the History Club.
She died February 27, 1905 and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Mrs. Martha Hoopes was the mother of B.F. Hoopes. She was born April 17, 1802, in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Her husband, Garrett, died in 1832 at the age of 28 in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
Garrett and Martha had four children: Sarah J. Hoopes, B.F. Hoopes, Mrs. M.G. (Mary G.) Downing, and Mrs. H.R. (Hannah Rebecca) Galliner. Martha moved to Springfield, Illinois, to live with her son in 1862, and when B.F. moved to Bloomington in 1865, his mother came with him. Martha was brought up on a farm, married a farmer, was considered a remarkable woman, and was always a hard worker. Up to the day of her death, she was active in and interested in the events of the day.
Very fond of flowers, she cared for a conservatory that was filled with blooms at all times. When Martha died at the age of 98 on November 7, 1900, she was the oldest resident of McLean County. She is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Albert Harwood Hoopes, also known as "Bert," the son of B.F. and Augusta Hoopes was born in Springfield, Illinois, on December 14, 1864. He came to Bloomington with his parents when he was just an infant. He attended Bloomington High School, graduated from business college, and became associated in business with his father, B.F. Hoopes. When his father died in 1904, Bert assumed control of the business. Bert married Julia Rodenhauser on September 26, 1903. They had three children: Margaret Augusta, Benjamin Franklin, and Albert Harwood. He lived at 707 North East Street.
Bert was a leading commission merchant in Bloomington, was a director for the German-American Bank, was a director of the American State Bank, and he attended Grace Methodist Church. Bert died on October 11, 1918, and he is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Julia Rodenhauser was a native of Germany, the daughter of William J. and Christiana (Leiderman) Rodenhauser, also natives of Germany.
The Rodenhausers were early settlers of Bloomington. Julia died November 13, 1945. She is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Benjamin Franklin Hoopes, the son of Albert Harwood and Julia Rodenhauser Hoopes, was born January 26, 1911. He had a brother, Albert H., and a sister, Margaret. He attended Franklin School in Bloomington, graduated from Bloomington High School, and attended Illinois Wesleyan University for one year. He married Frances Kelly onJune 21, 1941. They had two sons and one daughter: Franklin, Jeffrey R. and Ann Hilary Champion.
Benjamin pursued a medical career. He received a Bachelor of Science degree, cum laude, from Yale University Sheffield School of Science at New Haven, Connecticut, in 1933. He then received his medical degree from Yale University College of Medicine in 1937. In 1941, he received a degree in surgery from the University of Michigan and won a William A. Rogers Scholarship.
Dr. Hoopes held a number of medical positions during his years as a doctor. He served as assistant resident surgeon at New York Hospital, resident and then chief surgical resident at Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, and Navy Medical Corps, rank of Lieutenant Commander. Dr. Hoopes practiced in Bloomington from 1946-1980 where he limited his practice to general surgery.
Dr. Hoopes also taught. He was a clinical instructor at Cornell University Medical School and served on the teaching staffs at Brokaw and St. Joseph nursing schools in Bloomington.
Dr. Hoopes was a member of and active in a number of organizations. He was a member of the McLean County Medical Society, past president of Brokaw Hospital medical staff, past vice president of Mennonite Hospital medical staff and Brokaw Foundation Board of Directors. He was a member of the Illinois Surgical Association, Board of Review for American College of Surgeons, International Society of Surgeons, Central Surgical Association of the United States and Canada, American Board of Surgery, International Surgical Society, and American Association of Railway Surgeons. Other affiliations included: former member of McLean County Bank Board of Directors, Yale Club of Chicago, Bloomington Club, Bloomington Country Club, and past member of Bloomington Association of Commerce.
Dr. Hoopes was a member of St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, serving on its vestry and finance committees. He died August 24, 1993, and he is buried in Evergreen Cemetery. At the compiling of this information, his wife Frances Hoopes is still living.
Albert Harwood Hoopes was born March 17, 1915, in Bloomington. He was the son of Albert H. and Julia Rodenhauser Hoopes. He had a brother, Dr. Benjamin Hoopes, and a sister, Margaret Hoopes Forsyth. He married Marjorie Kirkpatrick on April 12, 1941, at Cleveland, Ohio, and he later married Hannabelle Morgan Duerr on December 18, 1964. Hannabelle died January 11, 2000.
Albert attended Bloomington High School andgraduated from Lake Forest Academy in 1933. He graduated from Yale University with a Bachelor of Science in 1937 and from Harvard Law School in 1940. He served in the U.S. Air Force, 1941-1945, attaining the rank of major. He was assistant general counsel for Union Auto Indemnity Insurance Company in Bloomington, 1946-1950, and he practiced law in Bloomington 1950-2002.
Albert held a variety of positions during his professional life: Director on the Board of the State Farm Mutual Funds for 25 years; director of Hoopes Enterprises; former member of the Board of Wesley United Methodist Church, as well as a Trustee; member of Bloomington County Club from 1947 until his death, serving as a Director in the late 1940s.
Other activities included: active in the American Red Cross; GOP Precinct Committeeman 1950-1955; Treasurer of the McLean County Central Committee, 1955-1960; and member of the Unit 5 School Board. Additional affiliations included: member of the Scottish Rite and Peoria Shrine; long-time board member of the Bloomington YMCA; Chairman of the McLean County Cancer Drive; and member of the American Legion Knights of Pythias.
Albert died September 29, 2004; he is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Mrs. Hannah Rebecca (H.R.) Galliner was born December 12, 1829, a sister to B.F. Hoopes, in Chester County, Pennsylvania. She married Joseph Galliner in 1850. No other information is available about her husband; she had no children.
Mrs. Galliner was a resident of Bloomington for 32 years, and served as city librarian for 25 years. She was elected to that position in 1870 when the library was under the private management of the Ladies Library Association. During her tenure as librarian, the library had several homes: Stautz's market; second floor of B.F. Hoopes Wholesale House; Withers library building. Also, during her tenure as librarian a charter was obtained from the legislature, and the name of the library's governing board was changed from the Ladies' Library Association to the Bloomington Library Association. Men were allowed to help manage the library at this. In 1894, the library became a city library.
Elizabeth Abraham, Reference Librarian of Withers Public Library, wrote of Mrs. H.R. Galliner in an historical sketch of the Withers Public Library in Hometown in the Corn Belt "... To no one, in its [Withers Public Library] early history, is the library more indebted than to Mrs. Galliner, who because of her untiring zeal and enthusiasm, helped establish and maintain it through the years of uncertaint...."
Mrs. Galliner died at her brother B.F. Hoopes' home, 707 North East Street, on October 19, 1897, and she is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
The McLean County Museum of History Library has information on members of the Hoopes family.